Monday, January 28, 2013

Do you think you have a good heart, a kind heart? Is Discipline necessary?

I was doing some reading today and came across this article, and it really grabbed my interest as it will demonstrate that we need guidance and discipline pretty much from the day we are born and should show why the world is the way it is. Discipline comes in many forms as does guidance and neither should be done maliciously but out of love, and this come from a book well over 2000 years old, there is a lot of good in this old book.  

Do you think you have a good heart, a kind heart? I thought my heart was okay until I read this startling passage in Jeremiah 17:19, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?” Another version says the heart is “beyond cure.” Wow, heavy words! Doesn't that prick your pride? Desperately sick? Hey, I have my off moments but I can’t be that bad.

But the more I read the Bible, the more I realize what the verse is saying. It is about the natural condition of our hearts. Take a look at little children. We don’t have to teach them to fight with their playmates, throw tantrums, break things, or grab toys from their little sister. But we have to teach them to behave, listen to daddy, give, forgive, be nice to other kids. Without discipline and instruction, we will have runaway brats and anarchy. It is in our nature to be selfish, proud, jealous, or angry. Look at the world. It is overrun by crime, lust, wars, corruption, and greed. It all begins in the human heart. Romans 3:23 says, “For all men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.


Borrowed from the "How is your Heart Today?" reading plan 

and the Bible of course

No comments:

Post a Comment